Apple crumble bars made with brown sugar apples and meringue layers. Topped with buttery crumble topping. A perfect dessert not only for Autumn!
Get ready to fall in love with autumn flavors…cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, apples and more. I am always looking forward to this season. The weather is getting colder and I spend more time in my kitchen.
How about you? Do you like Autumn?
Yesterday, I baked yummy mini donuts with butternut squash. My children said… WOW they are good. I am so happy when I can sneak some veggies in my baking goods and they don’t even realize it. But still love them. My butternut squash mini donuts will be posted next week on the blog. So be sure to come back and check the recipe!
I ate lots of apples when I was a child. When I was growing up in my lovely Poland it was the time when nothing was in the stores. Honestly, I couldn’t stand apple in my lunchbox everyday. I wanted to try different fruits, for example banana. However, apples are very popular in Poland and we have lots of apple farms. It is our local food. Apple pie or apple bars are very well known to me. Even when I was in Poland this summer, my mom made apple cake almost every week.
The apple crumble bars that I am posting today consists 3 layers: the buttery bottom part, apple layer and meringue. All is topped with crumbly topping that I love. These bars are perfectly sweeten. I tend to make desserts less sweet than it is supposed to be. It is because I want to taste the flavor and not only sugar! So if you will ever make any dessert from my blog…. you’ll see they are perfectly balanced.
Meringue Apple Crumble Bars
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter, unsalted
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 6 large apples, peeled & diced
- 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Grind walnuts in the food processor.
- I a large bowl combine walnuts, flour, baking powder, powdered sugar and cinnamon. Mix together. Add egg yolks. Cut butter into small pieces or shred them. Add to the flour. Combine all ingredients well. Form a ball. Cover with foil. Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a large pan melt 4 Tbsp. butter, add apples and cook on low-medium heat for 10 minutes. When apples will be soft add cinnamon and brown sugar. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 13 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg whites until soft peak, add sugar gradually (about 3 times). Mix ingredients well. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut about 3/4 dough. Leave the rest for the top.
- Spread 3/4 dough on the bottom of the baking pan nicely. Add apples.
- Add egg whites.
- In the end shred the remaining dough and spread on the top of the apples.
- Bake for about 50 minutes.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 347kcal Calories from fat 159|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 18g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
If you like Meringue Apple Crumble Bars check…