Healthy and moist banana chocolate spelt flour muffins made with greek yogurt, cacao and apple sauce. No oil in these yummy chocolate banana muffins!
Banana bread is almost always at my home. My older son is often asking when I am going to make it. Once I made it in a rush without even thinking what I am doing and I totally forgot to add oil. I realized when banana bread was already baking. I said to myself oh well, probably it will be a waste of products. I hate throwing out food and I usually don’t do it.
After baking I quickly went to check what is going on with my no oil banana bread and I was surprised nothing major happened. Even the bread didn’t stick to the pan. At this moment I realized that we don’t actually need oil in banana bread. And I already had a new recipe in my mind. After few weeks later I made these Banana Chocolate Spelt Flour Muffins.
Instead of using regular or whole wheat flour I used spelt flour. I use different kinds of flours at my home. And I love to experiment with all of them. I love to bake with spelt flour. It has more delicate fiber so it is not supposed to be mixed a lot. Just safely combine all ingredients with spatula.
The muffins came out moist and very chocolaty. They were perfect for lunch or snack. I had to bake two batches because everyone liked them.
Banana Chocolate Spelt Flour Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. cacao powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare baking muffin pan with cupcake liners. Spray each cupcake liners with oil spray ( I used Misto ).
- In a medium bowl combine spelt flour, baking soda and cacao powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs with sugar electric mixer. Add greek yogurt, apple sauce, vanilla extract and mashed bananas. Combine all ingredients well.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients using spatula.
- Fill out each cupcake liners 3/4 high.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the toothpick inserted will come out clean.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 138kcal Calories from fat 17|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
If you like Banana Chocolate Spelt Flour Muffins check…